Advanced Boiling Water Reactor - ABWR
Providing Cleaner Energy
Since the 1960s, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy (GEH) has been committed to delivering advanced performance reactor technologies - responsibly, reliably and economically. The Generation III Advanced Water Boiler Reactor (ABWR) is the foundation of GEH's nuclear reactor portfolio, providing a combined 20 reactor-years of operational experience. The ABWR generates nearly 1500 MW power, yet produces nearly zero greenhouse gas emissions during operation and meets the highest regulatory ratings.
- Proven technology, performance, and longevity -- with four plants operating in Japan (two more under construction, eight more planned), two in Taiwan, and two planned in the U.S.
- Sophisticated control systems that are fully digital - providing reliable and accurate plant monitoring, control, and diagnostics.
- Enhanced safety compliance and reliability, with highest regulatory ratings.
- Improved operability and maintainability, with up to 40 percent lower staffing and maintenance costs.
- Reduced capital and construction costs, due to compact modular construction.
- Technological enhancements that improve performance like reactor internal pumps and integrated containment and reactor building.
- Environmentally responsible operation, with nearly zero CO2 emissions - avoiding 2 billion cubic meters natural gas use yearly.