ABWR Nuclear Power Plant
The Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR) is the world's first and only Generation III reactor that is in operation today, with more than 15 years of safe and successful operating experience in the first unit. Four ABWRs have been built in less than 45 months each, and there are four more under construction. Our ABWR has the lowest core damage frequency of any Gen III reactor design. The ABWR design is already licensed in three countries: the United States, Japan and Taiwan.
ABWR is ready to meet generation needs of about 1350 MW, providing technology and schedule certainty, along with competitive economics.
The ABWR is the only Generation III reactor to be in commercial operation anywhere in the world.
Two ABWRs are under construction in Japan; two are under construction in Taiwan.
Primary benefits and features of the ABWR include:
- Improved technology and performance
- Improved safety and reliability
- Digital instrumentation & controls (I&C)
- Enhanced operability and maintainability
- Reduced capital and operation and maintenance (O&M) costs
- Less equipment, piping, etc. than similar sized PWRs
- Proven shorter construction time ... approximately 42 months from first concrete to first fuel load